This video describes an expanded version of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. This version shows 8 needs instead of the original version that only contains 5. This is a theory of human motivation, in other words, why do people do the things they do? What motivates people? Why do people do crazy things? What is self actualization and how does a person self actualize.
Here is the expaned model:
- Biological and Physiological needs – air, food, drink, shelter, warmth, sex, sleep, etc.
- Safety needs – protection from elements, security, order, law, stability, etc.
- Love and belongingness needs – friendship, intimacy, trust and acceptance, receiving and giving affection and love. Affiliating, being part of a group (family, friends, work).
- Esteem needs – self-esteem, achievement, mastery, independence, status, dominance, prestige, managerial responsibility, etc.
- Cognitive needs – knowledge and understanding, curiosity, exploration, need for meaning and predictability.
- Aesthetic needs – appreciation and search for beauty, balance, form, etc.
- Self-Actualization needs – realizing personal potential, self-fulfillment, seeking personal growth and peak experiences.
- Transcendence needs – helping others to achieve self actualization.
Note: Be aware that there is a criticism of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs also. See more on Maslow’s_hierarchy_of_needs wiki page.